Centered Medicine 2
November 29, 2011
Lung Examination: Abnormals
Arcot Chandrasekhar, M.D.
LUNG EXAMINATION: ABNORMALS
Lecture is canceled- only Small Group today
Lecture: 1:15 p.m., Tobin Hall (190)
- Bates' Guide to Physical Examination and History Taking:
8th Edition - pp.
213-218, 226-229, 234-235--regarding pulmonary; 234-243
9th Edition - pp. 245-250, 258-261, 268-269--regarding pulmonary; 272-275
10th Edition - pp. 287-292, 302-305, 312-313--regarding pulmonary; 314-321
Computer Assisted Lesson
Thales, Malcom S. The Only EKG Book You'll Ever Need:
4th. Edition 2003 - Chapter 4, pp. 155-158 (1st degree AV block); 167-183
5th Edition 2007 - Chapter 4 pp. 155-158 (1st degree AV block); 169-186
6th Edition 2009 - Chapter 4, pp. 161-194 (up to 1st degree AV block);
EKGs - Interpret EKGs 21-23
The Lung_Exam1_2012 (scenarios), will be
addressed at next Tuesday's lecture
Key Concepts and Learning Objectives
- Describe the relevant anatomy and physiology as pertains to the
examination of the lungs.
- Correlate pathology to abnormal lung findings.
- Recognize abnormalities and patterns of abnormalities as related to
various clinical scenarios including; pneumothorax, airway obstruction, (CPD,
asthma, chronic bronchitis, etc.), consolidation and lung masses,
interstitial lung diseases, left heart failure, and atelectasis pleural
Required equipment for Small Group: EKG calipers, Earphones for lung
Small Group Session: Immediately following the lecture, Seminar Rooms
- Identify abnormal physical findings.
- Identify abnormal lung sounds using the LUMEN web site.
- Interpret rate, rhythm, axis, intervals, hypertrophy, on EKGs provided
- Visit the LUMEN WEB SITE (steps are listed below) computers in your
assigned Seminar Rooms should have speakers
2. Additional resources
3.Physical Exam Steps
4. Links to other web sites
5. Listen to "Auscultation Assistant" and "Breath Sounds"
- Heart and Lung Sounds CD-STETHOGRAPHICS
- Brief Q & A of the major concepts learned from the
readings and lecture.
- Illustration of writing up of abnormal lung findings
- Use Heart & Lung Sound CD and LUMEN web site to listen to and identify abnormal lung sounds.
- Co-facilitators demonstrate EKG interpretation
- Students attempt EKG interpretation