Method Of Exam
|Author: A. Chandrasekhar, MD
Inspect and palpate skin for the following:
- Color: Contrast with color of mucous membrane.
- Turgor: Lift a fold of skin and note the ease with which it moves (mobility) and the speed with which it returns into place
- Hair distribution
- Warmth: Feel with back of your hand.
- Color varies based on race (black, white etc) and environmental effect (tan).
- Few moles and areas of depigmentation can be encountered.
- Fine hair is seen over most of the skin.
- Hair distribution varies based on sex.
- With aging
- Texture and turgor changes. Loss of stretch and resilience.
- They tend to be dry.
- Aging spots: Irregularly pigmented melanocyte loss.