Method Of Exam
|Author: A. Chandrasekhar, MD
Intrephalangeal joint exam is discussed under "joints".
- Examine the contour of finger with hand firmly pressed on a flat surface.
- Hold a finger separately and view it laterally to note the angle between skin and base of nail..
- Elicit fluctuation and feel for sponginess of nail bed.
- Observe the periungual skin.
- Feel for the posterior edge of nail.
- Inspect the finger tips.
- Evaluate draping of skin to fingers
- Fingers are uniform in width its entire length, the angle between base of nail and skin is 160 o, posterior edge of nail is not palpable and the nail bed is firm.
- Creases in finger tips are evident.
- Skin is loosely wrapped around fingers.