Method Of Exam
|Author: A. Chandrasekhar, MD
||Consultant: J. Stankiewicz, MD
Inspect the external surface of nose for symmetry.
- Nasal bone
- Nasal cartilage
Inspect nasal passages either with
- A large otoscope
- A speculum
- Or by tilting the tip of nose with pen light
- Observe and describe the following
- Describe the position and contour of the septum
- Note the color of the mucous membrane.
- Inspect the inferior and middle turbinates.
- Identify drainage sites of maxillary and ethmoid sinuses
- The septum is in the middle and the turbinates project into the nasal passages.
- There is sufficient room for the nasal passages.
- The mucous membrane is red and compact over the turbinates.
- There may be a small amount of thin secretions.