Bacteroides and Other Anaerobes
David Hecht, M.D.
Associate Professor of Medicine and Microbiology
Division of Infectious Diseases
- What are the function(s) of gram negative anaerobes in the normal host?
- What would the contents of an intraabdominal abscess include?
- What are the most frequently isolated aerobic and anaerobic organisms cultured from
- In what anatomical locations are anaerobic infections found, and which anaerobic genus (in
general) is associated with that location?
- What are the principle mechanisms of virulence used by Bacteroides, and what role do they play
- What toxins (if any) are known to be produced by gram negative anaerobes, and which genus(es)
are they associated with?
- Which gram negative anaerobes usually produce á-lactamases? What is the therapeutic
significance of á-lactamase producers.
- Which antibiotics are most effective against anaerobes (those that generally demonstrate <10%
- What are the two principles of management of a patient with an anaerobic/mixed infection with