FROM THE DIRECTOR
Thank you for taking the time to review our website. Our director of Student Education and our physician staff have worked hard to develop a stimulating and challenging Emergency
The Section of Emergency Medical Services has the “critical mass” necessary to achieve an integrated and diverse experience in pre-hospital and Emergency Medical care:
- Loyola University Medical Center is a Level I, Trauma center. In addition, our Emergency Department is:
- A Primary Emergency Department for the community.
- A Secondary Emergency Department for referrals from the ambulatory sites
- A Tertiary Emergency Department for referrals from outside Emergency Departments in regards to Trauma, Burns, Pediatric Trauma, Neurosurgical emergencies, and Stroke.
- A Quaternary Emergency Department in regards to the evaluation and care of patients cared for by various complex services at Loyola as Neutropenic fever in cancer patients and transplant patients experiencing unscheduled needs and care.
- Our Emergency Department sees 50,000 patients per year.
- We provide on-line medical direction to over 1400 Paramedic and Basic life support services in the 40 plus EMS providers in our surrounding communities.
- The Emergency Physicians provide medical control for our LIFESTAR Aero medical Transport program.
Loyola University Medical Center is the State of Illinois designated “POD” Hospital for the Region VIII.
We welcome your interest and hope you take the time to rotate with us in the Emergency
Mark E. Cichon, DO
Director, Emergency Medical Services