The relevance of nutrition in the prevention and treatment of disease -
- Screening and Assessment
- Disease Prevention
- Medical Nutrition Therapy.
KNOWLEDGE: The student should be able to describe:
- The signs and symptoms of nutritional deficiencies
- The indications for selection of feeding route (enteral versus parenteral)
- Recognize refeeding syndrome
- Describe complications of parenteral nutrition
SKILLS: The student should be able to:
- Identify nutrition findings on physical exam and history
- Assess the patient's nutritional status
- Provide accurate nutrition information to the team and the patient
- Monitor and identify complications associated with nutrition support
- Order and interpret appropriate tests and therapies that will aid the nutrition management
- Assess the patient's response to treatment
ATITUDES: The student should consider:
- Nutritional status in the assessment of each critically ill patient
- Nutrition as a necessary component of care for the ICU patient
- The impact of medical nutrition therapy on the individual and in relationship to other therapies
- Elder J, Perone J, Branski L, Brown K. Nutrition in critical care: a modified team-based learning exercise. MedEdPORTAL Publications. 2016;12:10386
- Guidelines for the Provision and Assessment of Nutrition Support Therapy in the Adult Critically Ill Patient: Society of Critical Care Medicine and American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition. Jnl of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition 2016; 40(2): 159-211.
- Nutrition in the Acute Phase of Critical Illness. NEJM 2014; 370(13): 1227-1236.
- American Gastroenterological Association: American Gastroenterological Association Technical Review on Tube Feeding for Enteral Nutrition. Gastroenterology 1995; 108(4): 1282-1301.
- Detsky AS, Smalley PS, Chang J: Is this patient malnourished? The rational clinical examination. JAMA 1994; 271(1): 54-8. Full text available from Ovid.
- Howard L: Chapter 78. Enteral and Parenteral Nutrition Therapy. In: Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 14th Edition. McGraw-Hill, year.
- Solomon SM and Kirby DF: The refeeding syndrome: A review. JPEN 1990; 14(1): 90-7.
Return to top