Elective Course No:
Ophthalmology Specialty Rotation
Course Supervisor: Amy Lin, MD
Charles Bouchard, MD; Rober Barnes, MD; Cathleen Cronin, MD; Mark Daily, MD; Felipe de Alba, MD; Eileen Gable, OD; Walter Jay, MD; Anurandha Khanna, MD; Amy Lin, MD; James McDonnell, MD; Jay Perlman, MD, PhD; Peter Russo, OD; Edward Sung, MD; Susanne Tidow, MD; Tracy Williams, MD; David Yoo, MD.
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time.
Duration: Four Weeks.
Periods Offered: Year Round
No. of Students:
Students will be assigned to the Edward Hines, Jr. VA Hospital for two weeks and the Loyola Outpatient Center for two weeks.
YES – Junior Standing
Visiting Students cannot apply for this elective until two months prior to the beginning date of each period.
Visiting Students Contact:
Darlene Dement - (708) 216-4161
Description of Content Covered:
- Attend general and subspecialty clinics and examine patients under the supervision of residents and faculty.
- Observe OR procedures and clinic minor procedures including laser procedures.
- Attend resident lectures, grand rounds or other teaching seminars.
- Learn how to complete an eye history.
- Learn how to perform a basic eye exam using the equipment in the eye clinic.
- Learn how to use the direct ophthalmoscope to examine the fundus.
- Become familiar with common eye diseases and their treatment.
- Become familiar with eye manifestions of systemic disease.
- Examine patients under the supervision of residents and practice presenting history and clinical exam.
Method of Evaluation:
- Level of knowledge attained.
- Observation by attendings and residents in the clinic and operating room for enthusiasm, promptness, cooperation and effectiveness.
- Written exam given at the end of the rotation.