Elective Course No:
Ophthalmology Specialty Rotation
Course Supervisor: Amy Lin, MD
Charles Bouchard, MD; Robert Barnes, MD; Cathleen Cronin, MD; Felipe de Alba, MD; Eileen Gable, OD; Walter Jay, MD; Anuradha Khanna, MD; Anand Mantravadi, MD; James McDonnell, MD; Jay Perlman, MD, PhD; Peter Russo, OD; Edward Sung, MD; Susanne Tidow, MD; Tracy Williams, MD; David Yoo, MD
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time.
Duration: Two Weeks.
Periods Offered: Year Round
No. of Students:
Four the first two weeks of the period.
Four the second two weeks of the period.
(Students will be assigned by the Ophthalmology Dept. to the Hines VA or Loyola Outpatient Center)
Geared for MS3 students.
Grading System: PASS/FAIL only.
This course is not available to Visiting Students.
Description of Content Covered:
- Attend general and subspecialty clinics and examine patients under the supervision of residents and faculty.
- Observe OR procedures and clinic minor procedures including laser procedures.
Attend resident lectures, grand rounds or other programs.
- Learn how to complete an eye history.
- Learn how to perform a 6 point basic eye exam using the equipment in the eye clinic.
- Learn how to use the direct ophthalmoscope to examine the fundus.
- Become familiar with common eye diseases and their treatment.
- Become familiar with eye manifestions of systemic disease.
Method of Evaluation:
- Observation by attendings and residents in the clinic and operating room for enthusiasm, promptness, cooperation and effectiveness.
- Written exam given at the end of the rotation.