You are hereAbout Us ›
Stritch School of Medicine History by Era
- Early History 1909 - 1916
- Flexnor Report
- Wolcott Street Era 1917 - 1966
- Early Maywood 1967 - 1996
- Maywood 1997 - present
St. Ignatius College, located at 1076 W. 12th Street (later renamed Roosevelt Road) in Chicago, was chartered by the Illinois State Legislature in 1869 as an undergraduate liberal arts and sciences school. By the beginning of the 20th century, children of immigrants were rising academically and economically and demands for professional education under university auspices were growing on various fronts. St. Ignatius’ increasing enrollment caused its Jesuit administrators to seek additional facilities.
In 1906, the Jesuits purchased a 22-acre tract of land on Chicago’s north side along Lake Michigan to provide the much needed expansion space. On November 14, 1909, Loyola Academy was formally dedicated on this site and the building was later named Dumbach Hall in honor of Henry J. Dumbach, SJ, rector of St. Ignatius College from 1902-1908. He was largely responsible for acquiring this land and oversaw the construction of its first building. Loyola Academy served as the north side’s Jesuit high school until its move to Wilmette in 1957. On November 21, 1909, a new charter from the State of Illinois was obtained and Loyola University was established. Schools of science, engineering, law, sociology, and pharmacy followed in rapid succession.
Loyola University That same year, Loyola also created a medical department and affiliated with Illinois Medical College. Associated with Illinois was Reliance Medical College, an evening medical school, which used the same faculty and building. From 1890 to 1910, the incorporation of various types of professional schools by universities was a common occurrence. The Flexner Report (1910) was a study of American medical schools sponsored by the American Medical Association that led to the national establishment of minimum standards for medical education. The report was the impetus for professional schools to seek affiliation as a means to continue their training programs and created the climate allowing Loyola to expand its medical department.
In 1910, Henry Spalding, SJ, Loyola’s first regent, was approached by Bennett Medical College who had recently purchased the Illinois Medical College. Founded in 1868, Bennett was seeking university affiliation in an attempt to raise the grade they had received from the American Medical Association. This merger was accomplished under the administration of Alexander Burrowes, SJ, Loyola’s president, and Bennett Medical College of Loyola University was established in 1910. Its first commencement in 1910 as part of Loyola University was actually Bennett’s 43rd graduation. The class consisted of 62 graduates; 41 from Bennett and 21 from Illinois Medical College. Medical school tuition was $100 a year, and matriculation and laboratory fees were $5 each.
The affiliation between Loyola and Bennett Medical College was certainly not a complete takeover; however, the new alliance gave Loyola’s president and trustees the right to supervise the course of studies and prohibit any doctrine opposed to Christian morality. Furthermore, Loyola was to provide ethical instructions to those who desired it, control the assignment of professors, and inspect the credentials of matriculants. This five-year agreement also included an annual payment of $5,000 for the use of Bennett’s building and faculty. Third and fourth year medical students were required to attend daily clinics at Jefferson Park Hospital, which was affiliated with Bennett. By 1917, Loyola University had assembled the components of its medical school by absorbing Illinois, Reliance, and Bennett and was now looking for new facilities.
Medical education in 1909 was in a state of flux and attempts were made to correct deficiencies of the late 1800s. Medical training in 1870 consisted of two academic years, each lasting 20 weeks. The second year was largely a repeat of the first. The majority of schools had no clinical curriculum and requirements for entrance varied greatly. Most did not even require four years of high school. Some schools operated strictly for profit and were considered diploma mills. These were known as commercial schools that were staffed by physicians who wanted the additional prestige and patient population that came to teaching physicians. Any group of physicians could easily create a medical school with minimal investment of time or money. One medical school was even operated out of a converted barn. Proprietary schools, usually operated by practicing physicians, dentists, clergymen, or lawyers, also served in the 19th century as the principal provider of practitioners. The quality of these for-profit schools varied from excellent to abominable. By 1904, there were 15 medical schools in Chicago, some of which were evening and correspondence schools, as well as schools that included homeopathic, osteopathic, chiropractic, and eclectic training. All could legally send graduates out to practice medicine without any minimum standard qualifications.
In 1904, the American Medical Association created the Council on Medical Education. The council wanted medical schools to be graded and, in order to have their evaluations considered objective, they appointed Abraham Flexner, PhD, of the Carnegie Foundation to perform these evaluations. In 1910, Dr. Flexner‘s report devastated the Chicago area medical schools, describing the city as “the plague spot of the country.” The AMA felt that to improve medical education in Chicago the number of medical schools must be reduced. One of the reforms proposed was an insistence upon high school graduation as a minimum entrance requirement. By 1915, the AMA authorized that medical schools begin to require at least one year of college. Medical schools were graded as “A, B, or, C” with “C” schools being considered unsatisfactory, thereby pressuring medical schools to affiliate with universities. Ironically, at the very time when the Flexner report was attempting to close medical schools, Loyola University was attempting to open a medical department.
Although Bennett was considered a “B” school and its affiliation with Loyola was evidence of their efforts to improve what it felt to be an unjust rating, the AMA began its attempts to close Loyola’s medical department or at least drop it to a “C” rating. Because of the merger of the Illinois, Reliance, and Bennett medical colleges with Loyola’s medical department, they had the largest graduating class in the nation. This made Loyola appear to be a commercial medical school that existed primarily for profit and less for quality education. Accreditation problems also seemed to center around the qualification of entering students; however, Loyola was one of the first medical schools to follow the Flexner report recommendations concerning applicant credentials. They raised their admission standards by administering their own entrance exam to better evaluate applicants, offering more formal training in the basic sciences, and updating their facilities beyond the levels of some of the more established schools in Chicago. These efforts were ignored by the AMA. Although Loyola was rated as a “B” school, its graduates had one of the highest passing rates on the state medical exam of any medical school in the city. Every graduate of the Class of 1911 who took the internship examination for Cook County Hospital passed. Fr. Spalding’s stalwart efforts to defend Loyola’s medical department through legal means finally proved fruitful. Standards were raised during the final years of his regency and by 1917 Loyola had achieved an “A” rating.
In 1917, the Chicago College of Medicine and Surgery (CCMS) became interested in uniting with Loyola’s medical department. Though weakly affiliated with Valparaiso University, CCMS was under pressure from the AMA to close because it still was considered a commercial school. Opened in 1902, CCMS occupied the buildings that once housed the Women’s Medical College of Chicago. The college consisted of three adjacent buildings that originally were built as family dwellings. It was located across from Cook County Hospital at 706 S. Lincoln Street, which was renamed Wolcott Street in 1936.
Loyola was looking for new facilities at this time and was enticed by the quality of the CCMS physical plant. In September 1917, several board meetings led to the resolution to buy the college and Loyola University president, John Furay, SJ, pushed for complete acquisition of the school by October 1, 1917. Loyola purchased the CCMS facility for $85,000 and began classes there in 1918. Loyola Medical School would use this location for the next 49 years.
Without a university hospital, Loyola students did their clinical rotations at various area hospitals. Some of the hospitals used from 1917-1936 included Columbus, Alexian, Oak Park, St. Mary’s, Misericordia, St. Bernard’s, West Side, Mary Thomson, Norwegian Deaconess, St. Anthony’s, and Frances Willard. Cook County and Mercy, however, were the two mainstays. Cook County was a nationally recognized 3,400-bed hospital offering an excellent faculty and patient population. Loyola students began clinical rotations there in 1930 and continued this practice until the late 1970s. Mercy Hospital had been strongly affiliated with Loyola since 1919 and became its university hospital in 1937.
Medical education in Loyola’s early years and in most other American medical schools was structured as a six-year program. Students attended two years of college and then advanced to medical school. Similar to today’s standard curriculum, the last two years of training consisted of clinical rotations completed at surrounding hospitals.
From the late 1920s to the late 1940s, funding was the chief obstacle Loyola faced. The cost of medical education was universally far greater than the cost of tuition. This was occurring as the United States was reeling from the Great Depression and World War II. In 1942, university undergraduate and graduate enrollment dropped dramatically as young Americans rushed to defend their country. Faculty and alumni soon followed. At the same time, Loyola University president Samuel Knox Wilson, SJ, presented an additional problem to the trustees: the school needed a new building. The renovations of 1925 were completed with limited funding thus preventing proper long-term improvements. By the end of the 1940s, the financial situation worsened and threats to close the medical school were nearing reality.
Archdiocesan funding had begun in 1921 when Archbishop Mundelein, not yet elevated to a position of cardinal, donated $20,000 from parish collections to assist in supporting the annual deficit of the medical school. This support continued for the next 20 years, but the annual deficit kept rising. In 1942, Cardinal Stritch was approached for help because he was committed to the idea of a Catholic medical school and was adept at raising funds. Most importantly, he recognized that the facilities were quickly becoming outdated and saw the need for building a new medical school. Because he offered consistent archdiocesan monetary support and help in fund-raising efforts, the name of the medical school was changed to Loyola University Stritch School of Medicine in 1948 to acknowledge the prominent role he played in the rescue of the school. In 1950, Cardinal Stritch approved and helped organize the first annual Cardinal’s Dinner to provide annual operating revenue for the medical school. The dinners increased in attendance and success until his death in 1958. In 1960, the dinner was reestablished under the sponsorship of Loyola University Chicago and renamed the Annual Award Dinner that honors recipients of the Stritch Medal and the Sword of Loyola.
In 1949, Loyola University president, James T. Hussey, SJ, and trustees launched a major fund raising effort called the Fulfillment Fund and Cardinal Stritch accepted the position of honorary chairman. Frank and Julia Deal Lewis’ ongoing support of the university resulted in a $1 million gift to the fund.
Just as Loyola was launching their fund raising efforts, the Sisters of Mercy announced their intentions to build a new Mercy Hospital on Chicago’s south side. The cardinal wanted an alliance between Mercy and Loyola and acted as mediator between the two institutions. It seemed appropriate to explore the possibility that Loyola’s new medical school might locate adjacent to the new Mercy Hospital, which would then become the school’s principal teaching hospital. Cardinal Stritch preferred the south side location, but the university’s Board of Trustees was unwilling to give up the current location in the west side medical district. This presented a dilemma for Fr. Hussey and in a letter to the Jesuit Provincial, Joseph Egan, SJ, Hussey stated: “I think the consideration which moves me more forcibly than any other to the south side is the fact that the south side is His Eminence’s preference. I think that the medical school would now be closed if it were not for the Cardinal’s support.” But the search for a new site for Loyola and Mercy continued into the early 1950s.
By 1953, a 50-acre tract of land in Skokie adjacent to northwest Chicago was purchased from the Christian Brothers and donated to Loyola by John F. Cuneo, a leading businessman, Loyola benefactor, and chairman of Fr. Hussey’s President’s Council. The intent was to build a 350-bed Mercy Hospital and Loyola’s medical school on the site. Negotiations continued between Mercy and Loyola as they tried to work out the details for affiliation that were acceptable to both sides. The major area of disagreement was the control of the clinical departments within the hospital. John F. Sheehan, MD, dean, Stritch School of Medicine, 1951-1968, explained that a medical school should have the right to nominate the staff of its teaching hospital and exercise certain control over the educational process involving its medical students. The Mercy medical staff did not relish such outside control and, furthermore, this new location was a long way from the patients and home addresses of the south side doctors who staffed Mercy Hospital. In 1958, negotiations ceased and the Sisters of Mercy announced that they intended to build their new hospital on Chicago’s south side. Loyola also faced other obstacles. Although the land was annexed to Chicago to obtain city services, the local community felt the medical center would change the community’s character. In the end, Skokie sued and forced Loyola to sell its property, but at a $1.7 million profit.
While Cook County Hospital continued to be an important and useful clinical affiliation, it could not serve as Loyola’s main teaching hospital for a number of reasons. Loyola did not have specific services or the right to designate attending staff and house officers on specific services; they had no voice in staffing or operation of ancillary services, such as laboratory and x-ray; and the dean had no role in governance. Thus, the future of the school was becoming even more dependent on new construction.
Meanwhile, the Edward Hines, Jr. Veterans Administration Hospital was planning to reduce the size of its land because it planned a high-rise replacement of its barrack-style facility. Built on 300 acres of federal land following World War I, the facility included 90 acres of vacant land on its east side. From 1915-1918 this eastern edge of land was the site of a 2-mile racetrack named Speedway Park, which sometimes had as many as 150,000 spectators enjoying the day. In 1926 it was known as Checkerboard Airfield where Charles Lindbergh flew as a mail carrier. During World War II, the government used this land for the Vaughn General Hospital. By 1960, these semi-permanent, one-story structures were no longer needed. When General John S. Gleason, Jr., a longtime friend of the Jesuits and Loyola University, accepted President John F. Kennedy’s appointment as Administrator of the Veterans Administration, he conditioned his acceptance on greater cooperation between VA hospitals and university medical centers. In that role and well informed of the Loyola’s need for a new medical school and hospital, General Gleason persuaded President Kennedy of the wisdom of having veterans’ hospitals contiguous to university hospitals. Physicians and researchers of the two entities would share information, research projects, and funding.
The first institution to benefit from this new national initiative was Loyola University. During this same period of time, 20 fourth-year Loyola students rotated on medicine clerkships at Hines. The quality of clinical instruction by the Hines staff was appreciated and reported on favorably by Loyola students. With Dr. Sheehan’s strong encouragement, the school’s teaching programs at Hines were extended and the number of Hines physicians on the faculty was increased. From Dr. Sheehan’s point of view, the quality, quantity, and enthusiasm of the Hines staff and their increasing research productivity made the affiliation more and more desirable. In 1960, Loyola commissioned a site study and determined that this would be an ideal location with sufficient land (62 acres), stating that it would become the geographic population center for metropolitan Chicago. Loyola purchased the land in 1961 for $1.00. The acquisition was challenged by a Protestant organization that objected to the sale of government land to a Catholic institution, but Loyola pursued the project and prevailed. On August 10, 1962, 61.7 acres were given to Loyola and a 30-acre tract was given to the Illinois Department of Mental Health for construction of a clinic. Loyola’s acquisition of this land for its medical school and teaching hospital was undoubtedly one of the most important decisions in its 53-year history.
By 1961, Loyola initiated planning for what was to be a complete medical center, not just a hospital and medical school. Other building plans included a dental school, motel for patient families, dorms and apartments for students, intern quarters, and education center. Except for a new facility for its dental school, Loyola never built the other structures due to financial and construction restraints. Furthermore, construction delays forced the project cost to rise from $21 to $35 million before any ground was ever broken. Construction finally began on the north end of the campus where the first buildings were released by Hines in 1965.
This era of Loyola’s history would not be complete without mentioning James F. Maguire, SJ, who became the university president in 1955. He completely reorganized the university’s public relations, alumni affairs, and development processes to set the stage for major fund-raising in the 60s and 70s. He is remembered for his perseverance and staying power in dealing with the medical school’s operating deficits, affiliation issues, land acquisitions, and almost daily task of attempting to save Catholic medical education in Chicago.
The early 1960s were an opportune time for Loyola to expand its medical programs and buildings. With Russian advances in outer space, our government felt the U.S. was slipping in its scientific technology and responded by offering grants for upgrading the nation’s universities. There also was a physician shortage and many foreign doctors were being imported to meet the demand. Thus, legislation was passed appropriating money to expand America’s medical training facilities. This government support, along with the Chicago archdiocese, business leaders, alumni, and faculty, helped fund the new Loyola University Medical Center. The opening of the medical center campus in Maywood, Illinois, marked a new beginning for medical education at Loyola. Teaching and research would now take place in a medical school facility combined with a permanent university hospital.
In 1967, the Stritch School of Medicine moved to the new campus. By 1968, the medical school facilities attached to the north end of the hospital were fully functioning. These greatly improved facilities for teaching medical students could now accommodate 432 medical students compared with 352 at the outdated, crowded facilities on Wolcott Street. The basic science and clinical departments enlarged their faculties to meet the needs of these students. To honor a generous benefactor, the hospital was named Foster G. McGaw Hospital of Loyola University in 1972.
With the massive undertaking of building a school and teaching hospital came the complexities of staffing, organizational issues, and managerial problems. When the new 451-bed hospital opened on May 19, 1969, it had no patients since there was no predecessor hospital. At the end of the first day it had 13 patients. The staff consisted of eight full-time medicine faculty, acting dean, acting chief of staff, acting vice-president, newly hired hospital director, and no residents.. Consultants were hired to propose a plan for the administration of the medical center. Dr. John Sheehan, who for over 20 years had effectively served as point man for the university in every negotiation required to bring the school and the medical center into existence, suddenly resigned over disagreements with Fr. Maguire and the Board of Trustees. In his place, John G. Masterson, MD, was named acting dean and Raymond C. Baumhart, SJ, acting vice president for the medical center.
Fr. Baumhart became responsible for the completion of the construction, staffing the hospital, and assisting the medical school in its occupancy. He held a doctorate in business from Harvard University and was an efficient, well-organized administrator. A major challenge was recruitment of full-time faculty. Clinical training occurred during the last two years of medical school and, in the past, this was accomplished in affiliated hospitals not under Loyola’s control. Most of the physician faculty members held part-time appointments in the medical school, but were full-time physician members of various hospital staffs. Loyola was not prepared for the consequences of trying to operate a 451-bed hospital with few doctors who were not already based at other hospitals on a full-time basis. The low patient census of those first months created a deficit far greater than anyone had predicted.
By the fall of 1969, a core of excellent physicians was recruited, principally from Cook County Hospital, to head Loyola’s clinical departments. Loyola was able to recruit such excellent department chairs from Cook County Hospital because of physician dissatisfaction with some politically motivated decisions by the Cook County Board. Among them were John R.Tobin, Jr., MD, chair of medicine; Robert J. Freeark, MD, chair of surgery; Leon Love, MD, chair of radiology; Rolf M.Gunnar, MD, chief of cardiology, and Walter Wood, MD, chair of community and family medicine. Along with other newly hired chairpersons, they helped recruit more than 75 full-time clinical faculty by 1979.
The original planners expected a west side medical center to be well-utilized, but they could not anticipate the rapid increase in demand for patient services that took place in the years that followed. The hospital reached full occupancy in the mid-1970s as Loyola developed a reputation for its high standards and offering the latest in medical treatment. By 1980, the university had embarked on a building construction and remodeling program, including a burn center, outpatient center, and neonatal intensive care unit, where two of the world’s three smallest surviving infants were cared for in 1979. Under the leadership of Dr. Freeark, Loyola’s hospital became the first Level 1 Trauma Center in Illinois as designated by the American College of Surgeons. With the advancement of modern technology came CAT scanners, MRI facilities, and the beginning of bone marrow transplants, invasive cardiology, interventional radiology, and the Lifestar helicopter. The 1980s saw Loyola’s first heart transplant, specialized heart and lung transplantation units, and Russo Surgical Pavilion, which housed 16 additional operating rooms, 50 intensive care unit beds, and cardiac catheterization laboratories. Development continued in the 1990s with the completion of an administrative building, south parking deck, energy building, helicopter hanger, oral health center, and the 125,000 sq. ft. cancer center, which was later renamed the Cardinal Bernardin Cancer Center after Chicago’s archbishop, who became a cancer center patient. In 1995, the emergency medical services building was completed, a new burn center opened, and the Ronald McDonald House was built. The 100-bed Ronald McDonald Children’s Hospital of Loyola opened in 1996. Much of this phenomenal growth in volume, program development, and physical plant occurred under the leadership and foresight of Anthony L. Barbato, MD, ’70. He became dean in 1986 and was appointed the university’s chief administrative officer for the medical center three years later. In 1995, he was named president and CEO of the newly organized health system, which became a separate subsidiary corporation of Loyola University Chicago.
Stritch would go through many changes between 1967 and 1996. Tuition rose from $1,700 in 1967 to $27,000 in 1996. The class size increased from 77 to 130 and the number of women enrolled would rise from 5 percent to nearly 50 percent. In 1972, a three-year curriculum was prompted by the federal government because of the physician shortage, which had occurred once before during World War II. Thirty-two medical schools converted to three-year programs, but by 1980, they returned to a four-year curriculum. With the return of a fourth year in 1980, came additional courses in ethics, statistics, and emergency medicine.
The majority of clinical rotations were done at Hines VA and Loyola, but St. Francis, Resurrection, Alexian Brothers, MacNeal, Columbus, and Mercy hospitals continued to offer student training. In the early 1980s, clinical rotations were offered at St. Jude Hospital on the Caribbean island of St. Lucia, which provided unique and rewarding first-hand experiences in international health care. Participation in public health clinics in the underserved neighborhoods of Chicago and its suburbs also developed.
Jesuit university and professional education in the early 1990s focused particular attention on issues of cultural awareness, social justice, and service to the poor and those at the margins of society. Students were encouraged to pursue their professional service as “women and men for others.” This impetus took particular shape at Stritch when its University Ministry Center expanded medical student service through the International Service Immersion program under the leadership of Maureen Fuechtmann, a long-time campus ministry director at Loyola’s Lake Shore campus. In 1994, three students went to Ecuador. By 2007, over 500 Stritch students had traveled to numerous third-world countries along with faculty, residents, and ministry staff. Financial support for this innovative service program became possible through an annual fund-raising auction that has garnered generous support from the medical center community.
Loyola’s Mentor Program was created as a forum to provide first year medical students an introductory experience with a physician and exposure to the medical profession. Medical students also participated in many significant biomedical research projects and were offered the opportunity to pursue a dual MD/PhD degree in one of the biomedical sciences.
In 1991, the school launched a comprehensive initiative to evaluate every aspect of Stritch education and create a new educational experience for the future of medicine. Called the Loyola Education Enrichment Project (LEEP), this endeavor involved the tireless efforts of a team of faculty members, administrators, and students over several years. Spearheaded by Ralph P. Leischner, Jr., MD, ’68, senior associate dean for the education program, 1987-2000, the program involved discussion, research, and innovation in all aspects of a student’s medical school experience. This study made it clear that the facilities, which accommodated a more traditional approach to medical education, were incompatible with the dramatic changes being proposed. In traditional medical education in the early 1990s, first and second year students experienced up to eight hours a day of lectures and labs, five days a week, seldom interacting with real patients or learning from one another in small groups. This style of learning was more passive than active and required students to memorize information rather than apply it in practical ways. LEEP recommendations represented a dramatic departure involving active learning. Lecture hours were reduced by 40 percent to allow for more small-group learning. Case-based learning required students to tackle real-life medical dilemmas by applying basic science and clinical knowledge. Students would interact with patients in a clinical setting beginning in their first year. Very few medical schools had ever designed a facility to match their educational experience and there was no stopping Dr. Leischner once he realized the possibilities. A new curriculum and contemporary medical school facility were planned in tandem, although certain aspects of the curriculum were implemented before the scheduled move into the new medical education building in 1997.
In 1997, the Stritch School of Medicine became a leader in innovative medical education with the opening of the new $43 million medical education building. The building could not have become a reality without the vision, support, and determination of John J. Piderit, SJ, president, Loyola University Chicago; Dr. Anthony L. Barbato, MD, president and chief executive officer, LUHS; Daniel H. Winship, MD, dean; Ralph P. Leischner, Jr., MD, senior associate dean; and Loyola University Chicago trustees. Stritch administrators took great pride in obtaining a building design to match the interactive, innovative curriculum plan. “Form follows function” is a principle associated with modern architecture stating that shape and interior design should be predicated on its intended purpose. For this unique and innovative design, Stritch received a prestigious award from the Boston Society of Architects. The building’s design includes dedicated space for learning clusters, areas that comprise classrooms of many sizes to facilitate different educational formats. Each cluster contains four sit-down laboratory areas, four seminar rooms for 12 students each that allows for small-group interaction and case-based learning, and one classroom for 45 students. Other teaching spaces include two 78-seat case method rooms designed to promote academic discussion about specific cases; 14 patient examination rooms where students can refine their clinical skills, and 150- and 200-seat lecture halls.
Computers are located throughout classrooms and common areas, thereby allowing students to take advantage of the Loyola Medical Education Network (LUMEN) and internet access. The building’s aesthetic centerpiece is a second-floor atrium, around which three student communities and a mall of student activities and services are grouped, including offices for student organizations, university ministry, admissions, student affairs, bursar, registration and records, financial aid, and the Teaching and Learning Center. In 1998, a fitness center adjacent to Stritch, opened for students, faculty, and employees.
Inspired by its Catholic heritage and Jesuit mission, Stritch integrates three deeply held values in working with students and patients: commitment to excellence, care for the individual, and community service. The new medical education center, named the John & Herta Cuneo Center in 2000, provides the impetus for a number of curricular innovations. These values have created a unique ethical, scholarly, and professional atmosphere for faculty, staff, and students of all faiths. Among these are the integrated four-year patient-centered medicine curriculum; Neiswanger Institute for Bioethics & Health Policy with online educational bioethics opportunities; Leischner Institute for Medical Education for enhancing teaching excellence; integrated curriculum in spirituality and medicine; international opportunities to serve the underprivileged in foreign countries; advanced computer technology through the Loyola University Medical Education Network (LUMEN); active interdisciplinary research opportunities; and an MD/PhD dual-degree program.
Education and clinical programs at Stritch continued to be broadened and improved over the next several years. Garnering additional student scholarships and developing additional use of the clinical skills assessment center were focuses of the school’s administration under the leadership of Stephen Slogoff, MD, dean, 1999-2006. Students were encouraged to participate in regular student forums and to seek advice and direction from the dean and faculty. With the increasing integration of teaching and patient care, the relationship between Stritch and the healthcare enterprise at Loyola flourished.
In 2006, John Lee, MD, PhD, dean, 2005-2009, embarked on a strategic planning process designed to further promote innovation and effectiveness in education. Recognizing that the genomic/molecular revolution allows greater targeting of specific diseases on an individual basis causing medicine to become more personalized, emphasis was placed on producing outstanding physicians who would be prepared for the promises and changes of the 21st century, whether pursuing careers in clinical medicine, teaching, or research. Loyola’s academic tradition continues to inspire going beyond imparting medical knowledge and developing clinical skills, and delves into the social, ethical, financial, and spiritual aspects of medicine. The goal is to prepare tomorrow’s healthcare leaders to work together with integrity, compassion, and a thorough understanding of a diverse society in order to serve the needs of all patients in a complex and dynamic healthcare system.
The Catholic Jesuit heritage and a visionary approach to medical education nurtures further compassionate outreach efforts as evidenced through the continuing International Service Immersion missions to developing nations and local programs to help the less fortunate members of our neighborhood. The faculty’s commitment to students, patients, and the surrounding community is recognized both locally and nationally. Under the leadership of Myles Sheehan, SJ, MD, senior associate dean and professor and director of the Leischner Institute for Medical Education, 2000-2009, Stritch continues its strong commitment to the Catholic Jesuit ideals of excellence, leadership, and compassion for those they serve.
In 2009, Richard L. Gamelli, MD, chair, Department of Surgery, and the Robert J. Freeark, MD Professor of Trauma Surgery, became dean of Stritch. Dr. Gamelli also is founder and director of the Burn and Shock Trauma Institute, and chief of the Burn Center. A world authority on the care of burn wounds and burn research, a skilled surgeon, and award-winning teacher, Dr. Gamelli embodies the ideal of the multi-dimensional medical professional that Stritch educators have always striven to cultivate. Commitment to patient centered care, educating morally and ethically grounded leaders in healthcare, and seeking new knowledge in the service of humanity remain the essence of the Stritch School of Medicine as we enter our next 100 years.
Notice of Non-Discriminatory Policy
Loyola University of Chicago admits students without regard to their race, color, sex, age, national or ethnic origin, religion, sexual orientation, ancestry, military discharge or status, marital status, parental status, or any other protected status to all the rights, privileges, programs, and other activities generally accorded or made available to students at Loyola. Loyola University of Chicago does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, age, national or ethnic origin, religion, sexual orientation, ancestry, military discharge or status, marital status, parental status, or any other protected status in administration of its educational policies, admission policies, scholarship and loan programs, and athletic and other Loyola administered programs. Otherwise qualified persons are not subject to discrimination on the basis of disability.
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine reserves the right to change, at any time, without notice, the policies and procedures announced in this manual, technical standards, graduation requirements, fees and other charges, curriculum, course structure and content, and other such matters as may be within its control, notwithstanding any information set forth in this manual. The medical school and university reserves the right to refuse to admit or readmit any student at any time should it be deemed necessary in the interest of the student or of the medical school and university to do so and to require the withdrawal of any student at any time who fails to give satisfactory evidence of academic ability, earnestness or purpose, or active cooperation in all requirements for acceptable scholarship. This manual is for informational purposes only and shall not be construed as creating a contract between Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine and any student.